10 Things You’ll Notice When You’re In The Presence of an Empath
Like us →
“As much as we notice, consciously or subconsciously, there are some things you’ll notice about us too.”
I remember an instance when I rang the cable company to ask about upgrading my service. After an hour had passed, the man I was speaking to had basically shared his entire life story with me and poured his heart out about his wife’s battle with cancer. I never found the information I was looking for, but I made a perfect stranger feel better- even if they had no idea why they were sharing their stories with me in the first place.
A very similar situation happened when I was out at a restaurant with my niece. I ordered my drink and the next thing I knew, our waiter was asking me how to handle leaving their spouse. There are countless stories like this for me, but I want you to think about when you have been around someone and felt the same way these people did.
The word “empathic” come from the Greek “em” (in) and “pathos” (feeling), meaning I am able to “feel into” someone else’s feelings, and as much as we notice, consciously or subconsciously, you’ll notice a few things about us too.
10 Things You’ll Notice When You’re Around an Empath
1. Please listen to what we say. If you want our advice, even if it sounds crazy, just listen to it- there’s a lot of truth to what we say. Sometimes, we just know things. If you ask for our advice and ignore it, well, let’s just say it kinda annoys us to no end.
2. We can’t stand lying, ever. The fastest way to end a friendship with an empath is to lie to them. It is painful for us to experience, and there’s no need for it. There have been times when I have had to look into my friends eyes and see their hesitation, and for a moment I could literally feel their lie crawl across my skin.
3. National tragedies are unbearable…regardless where they happen. It’s hard, almost impossible, for an empath to “unfeel” something. We avoid the news, and if we see something upsetting, our emotions are a mess for quite a while. The simplest thing can cause an emotional outpouring.
4. They tend to look tired. A lot of empaths are diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome for several reasons. The main one being because they aren’t aware of how to properly shield themselves from energy vampires. For many, it is a work in progress.
5. Healing is their way of life. Empaths want what is best for you and your wellbeing. Of course, as with all of their advice, it is only helpful if you actually implement it in your life.
6. They tend to be easily distracted. Perhaps it is due to their heightened sensitivity to everything around them, but empaths are easily distracted and tend to daydream. Having some helpful organizational skills is a must.
7. It’s impossible for us to be anything else. As far as honest people go, empaths are the truest friends you could ask for. It is impossible for them to live a lie. Just as, if you want them to lie for you or participate in deceptive behaviour, you can forget about it.
8. There is no room for narcissism. Our BS meters are too sensitive for this kind of stuff. If you are head over heels in love with your reflection, your money, and your ego- just stay away. We really can’t roll our eyes any harder.
9. Our love of animals is crazy strong. To most empaths, our animals are our furry little children and we would do anything for them. We love them and they are our family. So just understand, if you don’t like our animals…we know, and we still choose them.
10. Empaths need to laugh every day. There are times when we are truly connected to our physical body, but most times, we are in out heads. But, laughter helps. In fact, we need to laugh because it brings us back to a place where the world isn’t so “in our face.” It can be too much to take. So, if you see us watching a ridiculous cartoon, or reading a children’s book, it’s not that we’re being weird or anything. Rather, we are remembering what is important- the laughter and innocence.
Like us →